The Pickup Arrives - Part 2 (long)

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: The Pickup Arrives - Part 2 (long)
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:34:37 -0500
So, I pay the guy the $949 so I can get my truck.  After being run around to
three more buildings and waiting and waiting and waiting for, seemingly, no
reason, they let me get my truck.  I'm thinking this is going to be
interesting.  I'll bet, in keeping with the way the day is going, this is
going to be the twin to Jed Clampett's truck.  No.  It was as pictured on
eBay.  Real nice 20 footer.  About what I expected before this day started.
Very presentable, but it was a fast and nasty paint job to look presentable.
Not concours, but not bad.

I got in and the truck started immediately.  Hmmm, maybe this is a good omen.

I drove it out of the parking area to an open section of their lot so that I
could get under it's skin and check it out for roadworthiness.  After a few
looks like "what are you doing here", I decided to do the most important stuff
and then head out for more friendly environs.  I guess their lot was not my
shop after all.

Everything checked out great.  All fluids were good; the wheels weren't ready
to fall off; it had good, solid brakes...  it started with only the slightest
touch of the starter and ran as smooth as you can imagine any in-line 4 popper
running.

The only problem on the way home was that it developed a bad oil leak in Ohio
-- about a quart in 50 miles.  The bolt that holds the banjo fitting to the
oil filter base came loose.  A quarter turn or so of the bolt and that was
taken care of.  On the road again.

The truck ran great all the way home.  I got more looks, stares, thumbs up,
smiles, and waves than I could ever imagine.  Two babes in a Geo even took a
picture as they were passing me.  Unfortunately, I think it was the truck they
were after.  Three guys took a picture, too, but I didn't care about their
motives.

So, the Reader's Digest version is that the truck was what I expected.  No
real problems.  It's home.  I'm a happy camper.

===========================

Now for the thanks.  When I was getting ready to head out to Baltimore, I put
out a call for volunteers to help if I ran into any problems along the way
that I couldn't fix with the tools or parts I brought.  Thankfully, I didn't
need any help.  I am truly impressed and thankful for all of the many, many
people who volunteered to do what they could for me, if need be.  You guys are
great.  Thank you.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup -- finally home.

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."

P.S.  I only needed the duct tape: to temporarily cover my fuel pipe opening
when a couple little miscreants snatched my gas cap while I was in a
restaurant.  The little shits.