Re: Removal of half shaft remains

To: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>,
Subject: Re: Removal of half shaft remains
From: "CHRIS KOTTING" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 06:50:22 -0600
Hal -

I have done this job on an MGB diff, and it isn't as daunting as you think.
Take a long (4") skinny (1/8") drift and drive out the roll pin that holds
the pinion axle that's in your way.  Remove axle and pinions.  You can now
lift out the side gears that the ends of the axles fit into (and the end of
yours is still in).  Remove the stub of the axle and reassemble.

While you've got everything out, replace the thrust washers for the pinions
and gears you removed. (No shimming required, because you're not changing
the relationship between the input pinion and the big drive gear).

Unless you have trouble getting the stub of the axle out, it's about 30
minutes, start to finish.

Chris K.

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:25:02 -0700, Hal Faulkner wrote
> OK, now with the differential out of the casing the remains of the broken
> half shaft are visible there just inside the differential bearing.  Can't
> drive it out with a broom handle 'cuz the spider gears (or whatever
> the heck they're called) are tied together with an axel that
> precludes doing this. Also, I'm worried about scoring the inside of
> the differential bearing.  Is this a job for the machine shop?  Or
> am I just being too much of a wimp?  A piece of steel rod could
> possibly be used as a drift punch to drive the end clear of the
> bearing?  It's pretty nasty, chewed up with all kinds of sharp edges,
>  and at the cost of replacing differential bearings, not to mention
> the shimming necessary I'd rather not bugger the thing up. I thing
> the shop is going to get the thing anyway to replace the pinion oil
> seal, so it's only a minor concession on my part to let them do the other
> part.  I mean, "why deprive a professional of his livelyhood?"
> I'm not really a member of the BFH school of auto repair
>
> Thanking everyone in advance,
>
> Hal

Multiple Sclerosis 150 Mile "Pedal to the Point"
(Yes, 150 miles on a bicycle. No, I'm not a masochist.)
Sponsor Me! ->  http://tinyurl.com/f48lg