RE: My latest challenge

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: My latest challenge
From: Dave Grandeffo <davegran@ticon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:22:19 -0500
Frank Clarici wrote:

> To build a 1275 engine using all USED parts except the piston rings and
> front seal.
> Why you might ask?
> Because I have buckets full of parts, I found a block in the garage when
> I cleaned it out to paint the floor, and it gives all the parts a proper
> place. I have a draw full of good semi used bearings, loads of open
> gasket sets, coffee can full of push rods, another tin of lifters, cans
> of bolts, 4 good used pistons, 5 rods, 11 rod caps, 6 main caps, 4 cams,
> a few used timing gears and chains.
> Several dizzys, 6 pair of carbs at least, a nice craked heat shield, and
> a head I know works cause it's on the kid's Mini right now.
> All I will need is an exhaust manifold.
>
> I say it will run just fine.
> What do others think?
>
> I know I can rebuild it with new parts but I already have 2 ready to
> drop in. So this is my challenge, make something work and work well out
> of crap in the garage. Put all the junk to good use.
> I could always Ebay it as a "rebuilt" engine.
> I mean it will be rebuilt ;)
> - --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ

Frank,
If you can come up with reasonable oil pressure and a cam with some
lobes left on it, you'll probably find that the mix and match motor will
run like a rocket! The decreased drag from the "seasoned" parts will
free up some usable hp. You'll have to keep an eye on the valve
clearances while the push rods get happy in their new locations. When we
used to bring five rental Formula Fords to a race weekend, sometimes an
allnighter engine rebuild was necessary to get a customer back on the
track and there ain't no parts stores open at 2am.

I have no doubt that you have the skill to make a junk motor run very
well. Thanks for validating the rest of us pack rats who like to hang on
to stuff. Have fun!
--
Dave Grandeffo
www.kettlemorainemotorsports.com