BE fuel tank to boot seal

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: BE fuel tank to boot seal
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:55:48 -0400
I am replacing my fuel tank on the bugeye with another original tank.
Looking at some parts pictures they show a rubber seal fitting between the
floor and filler neck on a replacement tank with the flexible filler neck.

Should the round seal be fitted to an original tank with the steel filler
neck?  I have a leak, on the one I'm taking out, coming from the top of the
tank somewhere on the filler neck side.  I haven't dropped it yet.  I
thought if this area is prone to rubbing the boot floor it could be the
cause of my leak.

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa