CLUTCH CLUES found !! Midget 74

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: CLUTCH CLUES found !! Midget 74
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:41:51 -0500
(On this 74 1275 Midget.....)

So after FAR too much time and bleeding I have stumbled upon a major clue as
to my clutch engagement problems.

A quick history. I was fooling with the slave cyl. Piston once day and
afterwards was no longer able to get the clutch to engage  as if I had
introduced air to the system .

So I bled and I bled. All kindsa tools, all kinds of methods. Firmed up but
no engaging the clutch. It would just grind when attempting to push it into
1rts or reverse. Replaced hoses, slave and master. Teflon sealed the
fittings.

So, after far too long of bleeding and bleeding it occurs to me  monitor
the slave cyl. Piston to clutch arm movement. KEEP IT SIMPLE, Miles !

To my chagrin, the piston does actually push the clutch arm all the way and
release nicely upon letting up off the pedal.

So, if logic serves me.this says  I DO HAVE HYDRAUL. CLUTCH PRESSURE.
Right ?

And, so what I am guessing is..there must be something going on IN the
clutch. Pressure plate, the actual arm, clutch fork, clutch release
bearing.

Butdunno.

1.  So what do you think.should I open this thing up ?

2.   If the arm is getting a complete push from the slave cyl piston am I
getting proper hydraulic pressure ?

3.      What part do you think has gone kaput ?

4.  If I do open the clutch  housing up, what else should I go ahead and
hedge my bets and replace now to stave off later problemsseals, gaskets,
parts, etc ????

Once again, thanks for your insight. The list has been a wellspring of help
that I cant thank enough. Some good people.

Smelling of DOT3,

Miles