RE: Subject: Running your car on ethanol?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Subject: Running your car on ethanol?
From: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:05:55 -0600
Hello,

> In addition to what John says, it takes close to twice the volume of
alcohol fuel to get the same distance as a gallon of gasoline.  Alcohol
at $2.00 per gallon, gasoline at $3.00, takes about $4.00 of alcohol
fuel to run the same distance as a gallon of gasoline.  Not a lot of
economy!

In 20 years from now, things might be different though...

> There also are some highly specific requirement for alcohol that gets
blended with gasoline, so it's unlikely you'll have that with straight
alcohol you get from who knows where!

My truck seems to run good on denatured alcohol (this is the fuel I use
to pass emissions with it :-) but it's just a temporary thing and as
soon as I pass the bloddy emissions, I fill the tank to the guills with
real fuel...

> Don't use ethanol in your Spridget. Ethanol mixed with gas in 20% /
80%
> ratio (E-20) or higher causes engine wear. The ethanol is very
corrosive
> to fuel systems, bores, piston rings, etc. Expect engine life to be
cut
> in half. I know someone who tests this for a living, and believe me,
you
> don't want to do it.
Darn it...

Thanks, cyrille