Re: [midgetsprite] Imagine this....

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Imagine this....
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:44:28 -0500
On 8/14/06, b-evans@earthlink.net <b-evans@earthlink.net> wrote:

>   Do the British take airline security seriously? Well, can anyone truly
> imagine such a scene as this at JFK, LAX, or any other American
> airport? I fear the civil libertarians would be out to lynch someone.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ng4g8
>
> For me, it was a familiar sight when flying out of Heathrow back in
> 1990-1.

Short story....      Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was about 80 lbs
lighter, I used to do a historical show of Wyatt Earp with full
costume...etc.  In 1992, the Kansas State Department sent me to Harrods in
London for a week to do the character for a special display in the store.
Knowing the Brits rules on guns, I went to great lengths through Harrods
security, the Metropolitan Police and Scotland Yard so that I could bring,
sans firing pin, my 7.5 inch barrel 1872 Colt Army "Peacemaker" (identical
to the gun Wyatt Earp used - I don't care WHAT Ned Buntline said!). They
told me everything was arranged.

When I arrived at Stanstead, I found someone had forgotten to tell the poor
bloke from the Royal Marines who was overseeing the customs lines. As Buster
notes, they are well armed with loaded assault weapons. I opened the gun
case for inspection and then spent nearly 30 minutes spread eagled face down
on the floor of Stanstead airport until the proper clearance for my pistol
came through from Scotland Yard. And this was *before* 9/11!!

They don't fool around with security in Britain!!    I sent the young Marine
some Dodge City items just to show there was no grudge.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City