Re: Billy Zoom on the road

To: b-evans@earthlink.net, Spridgets@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Billy Zoom on the road
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
billyzoom.com , click on shows. Shows have left me 7
pounds lighter in a week from sweating; Each night a
great memory.

X's Reviews are running like this (slightly edited):

My wife finds it frustrating so few people know of
Billy Zoom. After all, the punk legend flirted with
her after Xs powerhouse show at the House of Blues
and it seemed no one could appreciate her story, which
was a top shelf rock n roll encounter: Zoom takes a
position at the t-shirt stand, and when my wife
remarks to him that he looks great, Zoom quips, You
look great, too. Standing behind her, I quickly
offer, Yeah, and our three kids look great, too. He
rejoins, Im just trying to move some merch,. But I
hold no ill feelings towards Zoom. Not only do I share
his appreciation of my wifes charms, but I was in awe
of his continued genius with a guitar. After more than
20 years, X remains the standard by which other punk
bands must be judged.

Dedicated fans know the story: after releasing four
discs of genre-defining, twang-tinged punk in the
1980s (now available in expanded and essential Rhino
reissues), they made a play for crossover success with
the over-produced Aint Love Grand in 1983. Zoom then
left the fold. But judging by the adrenaline and
energy of the first chords of set-opener Your Phones
Off The Hook, But Youre Not, it was evident X had
lost nothing of its communication as a band. It was
almost too good to be true. The original line-up was
in fine formthe coil-tight drumming of D.J. Bonebreak
(his graying head all but shaved), Zooms killer licks
and the off-kilter harmonies of Exene Cervenka and
John Doe and looking and sounding as good as ever.
Without pause, the quartet thundered through a host of
classics, retaining the sonic howl of Hungry Wolf,
the giddy kick of Year One and the triple-time
attack of Im Coming Over.

Onstage there was nothing but power as Doe shed his
jacket, revealing a sweat-soaked work shirt, and
launched into Riding With Mary. Cervenka held her
own, performing a loose-limbed rag doll dance that
offset her urgent delivery of Were Desperate. As
always, Xs punchy interplay was juxtaposed by Zooms
understated stage persona. Though clad in a leather
jacket for the whole show, he never broke a sweat.
Grinning with sincere warmth, he nodded at audience
members as if welcoming old friends, often striking
his trademark pose with legs scissored open.
Mind-bending riffs seemed to flow effortlessly,
sounding nowhere more remarkable than on the compact,
perfect solo of Once Over Twice.

While the set focused firmly on the past, it did so
with such fervent passion one could not think of the
band as a revival act. After such an experience, I
share my wifes bewilderment that more people havent
experienced one of the greatest bands, punk or
otherwise, to ever make a joyful, rockin noise. If X
comes within a thousand miles of your town on this
tour, dont miss out. And then spread the word. My
wife is counting on you.