Re: Pulling Engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulling Engine
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:33:46 -0500
Phil wrote:

My engine leveler has solid steel L shaped pieces to attach to the engine.
The last time I did this on a 948 I used the valve cover studs to lift it
out.  Is that OK or should I use the exhaust manifold studs?  I wonder
whether tilting the motor will strip or flatten the threads on the studs.

I have pulled a dozen engines using the valve cover studs, with the valve
cover stud nuts bolted onto the studs thru holes in a thick plate of metal,
with no problems. Thompson and I just pulled two of my engines on Wednesday
using this method. Just make sure you screw the nuts all the way down onto
the studs.

Bud Pazur

'60 Bugeye - Street Car - 1275cc - 'Whitey'
Race Bugeye - 948cc - 'Redd'
Race Spridget - 1275cc - 'SilverStreak'

"The Buddha ... resides as comfortably in the gears of a ...transmission as
he does in the petals of a flower."
     - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance