Re: Pertronix Distributor

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pertronix Distributor
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:37:10 -0500
> I have seen the distributor for sale and it sounds like a good deal. I
> have no personnel experience with it but if I needed a new one I would
> jump on it. Much cheaper then the other electronic distributor available
> and like you say, not much more then the Pertronix unit alone.

I find it a little difficult to believe that one advance curve is going to
cover all MGA, MGB, and A-Series models. Even Lucas didn't try to make that
fly. Still, it is a reasonably affordable distributor that looks nice and
will probably work fairly well. Bear in mind that it, like the 123Mini line
of distributors, will NOT work on manifold vacuum for the advance; it
expects ported vacuum (a much better signal, but hard to implement if you do
not have it). If your carb(s) do not have a port for vacuum, you will have
no way of having vacuum advance. No big deal for the race types (who won't
be likely to care much for the mechanical advance curve, either), but it
will hurt the mpg and part-throttle operation on the street cars
significantly. If you are planning (or already have) a hot cam, and all
those other go-fast goodies for those of us not required to kiss up, this
might not be the best alternative, although it will doubtless be better than
a worn-out 25D.
David Lieb