Brake pedal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake pedal
From: BCAH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 01:43:38 EDT
Hello all,---I was helping a friend check out his brakes and I found the
following situation.------Sometimes the pedal is firm and sometimes it goes to
the floor, but the second push always get a hard pedal again. I can  not figure
out why it would work one time and not the next. If I push very  slowly on
the pedal and take about a minute to push it down with very light  presure , it
always goes to the floor. If I push hard, it usually is firm.It is  a '80 MGB
but brakes are brakes   Actually, the same situation  occurred with my Volvo
and waiting at a red light I discovered the same  situation which leads me to
think it is the master cylinder. What do you folks  think?  Bob C