Re: Shimmy

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shimmy
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:13:21 -0500
> But I think this sounds like a balance issue. It does not wobble
> on bumps etc, just at speed.

The issue is the question of what starts the wobble. If it IS a balance
issue, it will start every time a specific speed is exceeded; if it is worn
suspension bits, you will be able to exceed that speed without the wobble on
occasion and it will be fine until you hit a bump just big enough to start
it going ("outside, unbalanced force" as Newton put it).

The fact that it is shaking the steering wheel as much as he says makes me
VERY suspicious that there is a tread-separation going on here. Had fits
with this on Trish's PT Cruiser with the original Goodyear Eagles until we
had finally gotten rid of the last one. Do NOT believe Goodyear when they
say that you can rotate their tires to the opposte side of the car! Did this
start happening shortly after a tire rotation? He REALLY needs to get this
checked out by a tire shop right away, there is a definite safety hazard
here.
David Lieb