Re: How much primer?

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: How much primer?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:08:48 -0400
Timothy H. Collins wrote:

>  I understand new primers want to be top coated within a week
> and that won't happen in a long term restoration.

Tim

You can use an epoxy primer but note that it is hard as nails and
usually not sandable.
I would use a 2 part urethane primer not a lacquer primer.
The urethane will cure but still might absorb moisture.
Not as much as lacquer primer.
You could also spray bomb the primer in a color close to the final color
to prevent moisture absorption.
As far as parts sitting in primer for months or years, they would all
have to be re-primed before final paint anyway so maybe a thin coat of
spray can paint to seal it would be a good idea. Then once it's all
ready, sand it down with 400 grit, reprime and paint the whole car.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ