Re: Opine For Me On My Ribcage Gear Box?

To: KrkLH@cs.com
Subject: Re: Opine For Me On My Ribcage Gear Box?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:35:17 -0500
Basically what you've got is a used ribcase transmission with unknown
wear.  At best, you can see there aren't any visible issues.
Unfortunately, that is largely meaningless.  It could pop out of second
the first time someone uses it or it can lock into first.  Believe me,
I've had that happen with freshly rebuilt ribcases prepared by people
with good reputations.  In one case, it is still popping out of second
after the second attempt to rebuild (WST - someone you know).

You'd be very lucky to find someone trusting enough to pay $300 for it.
Used ribcase transmissions I've seen go for between $100 to $175.  I paid
the latter price for a used ribcase that I had the benefit of testing in
a car to make sure it worked.