RE: LBC but non Spridget- Sevens

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBC but non Spridget- Sevens
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 07:02:35 -0700
Jay wrote:
Original Lotus 7's can corrode between the aluminum panels and the steel tubes
and the steel tube frames most definitely can rust and mosre importantly crack.
All of this may be less on newer Caterhams.

_______________________

Yes.... the chassis tubes can definitely crack, even without rust, especially
in the earlier cars.  Increasing engine power and using wide or/and modern
"grippy" tires exacerbate the problem. The Lotus Seven suspension works best
with the original size tires, and even a modest increase in size noticeably
change the feel of the car.

After the 37 or so S4 they built, Caterham reverted to building the S3.  They
first used the Lotus series lll chassis, but they modified it over the years,
and Caterham built Sevens, especially after 1996 or 1997 (not quite sure of the
year!), do not seem to suffer from the same problems. I would not worry about
cracks in a recent Caterham, except for the De Dion cars which have had a well
documented problem with failure of the rear axle/suspension. They went though
three redesigns of the pick up points/brackets, and I am not sure they totally
solved the problem. I personally prefer the live axle cars - yes, I am aware of
the advantages of the De Dion... but the live axle is simpler, lighter (that's
important to me!), and not prone to failure.

The S4 has a fiberglass body with steel reinforcement side panels, and there
can also be rust between the panels and the chassis. There is also a spot under
the steering rack where water can collect and rust the cross member. Problem
with the S4 is that as the fiberglass panel/side panels are bonded to the
chassis, it is very difficult to check for rust in the chassis. It is easier to
do so in the earlier aluminum clad cars.

JLC