Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual

To: "David Camp" <dxcamp@bsink.com>,
Subject: Re: Fulcrum pin removal - clueless as usual
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:21:18 -0600
At 04:21 AM 11/3/2006, David Camp wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>I just went through this on my Midget. I had to drill out the retaining pin
>and couldn't get the fulcrum pin to budge. I then stuck the whole assemble
>in a vice and soaked the end of the pin in PB Blaster for 2 days, beating on
>it with a impact screw driver every time I passed by it. I finally got it
>out by grinding down a chisel to exactly fit the slot and turning it out
>with a cresent wrench on the chisel. I bought a new pin and cleaned out an
>retapped the hole(try finding those taps!),

Dave, one of the sizes isn't a standard thread.... there is no tap made.

>  but could not get the new pin to
>screw all the way in,

The above is why.

>so I ended up reusing the old pin.

There are some mis-manufactured ones out there. Mis-manufactured
threaded repair inserts too. I did a QC on a bunch for a customer.
Turns out they used a standard thread form which didn't match
original pins. They had some inferior pins made up. Unforunately, the
product made it into the "field", despite my protestations.

>Good luck,
>Dave Camp

Peter C