Subject: Re: Car Audio Amps - now Tubes

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Re: Car Audio Amps - now Tubes
From: "Jackson Zimmermann" <jzimmerm@k12albemarle.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 23:30:11 -0500
I've got to disagree that tubes only belong in guitar amps.  I've owned
numerous tube and solid state amps (no Rowlands or ML stuff, but a Krell
KSA100 and KMA100).  Nothing compared to my old ARC D-250 Servo Mk II
amps.  With 16 6550 output tubes, it could drive the most inefficient
speakers with ease.  Sigh, after owning two of these monsters, I sold
them since I don't have a dedicated listening room and have 3 small
children running around the house.  An inadvertent spill or some
inquisitive fingers = quick death with something like this so they had
to go.  It was bliss when combined with a pair of Celestion SL600
speakers and System 6000 subs.

As a suggestion for a really good car audio amp, ADS in the late 80's
made some of the best hifi car stereo equipment out there.  An ADS PQ10
amp would be a nice choice from eBay.  Not cheap even now, but good
stuff.