RE: Compression Spring Source?

To: "'Timothy H. Collins'" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compression Spring Source?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:16:34 -0600
Hobby store?

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy H. Collins [mailto:thcollin@mtu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 5:58 PM
To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression Spring Source?

I am looking for some small compression springs. Picture the coils on the
front of your car and then shrink that to 7/16" long (9 coils), 1/8"
outside diameter, collapsed height about 3/16". I don't know the spring
rate, but about the same as the spring in an old ball point pen. Wire size??

I tried the hardware store with all their little boxes of nuts, bolts, etc.
but no luck. I'd like to find 4. Any idea where I can find this size -
either new or salvaged from something like a ball point pen? (Pen springs
are to big in diameter) Minimum order size pretty well rules out  direct
purchase from spring manufacturers. Inexpensive is good!

My project? Refinishing the seat belt anchors. The spring forces the
"keeper" from opening so the seat belt stays anchored. Buy new you say? Now
what would be the fun in that?? :)

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite