Midget CARB Amateur Hour

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Midget CARB Amateur Hour
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:59:23 -0600
My holiday adventures were just that..........
I replaced a few old parts on the 1275 74 Midget.
Things were running pretty nice after a short charge of the battery. The
alternator is due for a replacement and that was to be my next venture.

Driving late over to the familys home I really was proud of how the car was
handling the road I have recently done a bit of front end work and could
really tell the difference with how it took the corners at speed.
Coming in to a straightaway I stomped on the pedal and felt the car pick up
speed as if on rails. Running great.

It was when I let off the pedal I immediately noticed the lack of spring
back of the pedal and the accelerator continued to rise.
Aw jeez, this is bad.
I stomped on the pedal again and the acceleration died back down to a normal
pull in 4th gear.
But the next time I stepped on the gas I wasnt so lucky.
It was stuck.  No tapping it out. So I cut the engine and coasted over to
the curb in the dark.
LESSON #1 Always ALWAYS carry a flashlight.

I started it a few times hoping for dumb luck but was only met with a
rapidly rising RPM.
I would cut it off every time before it would whine to a death knell.

After popping the bonnet and checking the ye old ratty accelerator cable
(still connected and pulling with tension) I realized I would never be able
to figure this out in the pitch black.

So being only about a mile from destination I started it in first and
QUICKLY went through the gearbox. Every time I would top out in 4th or need
to slow it down I would shut it off and coast for a bit.

The next morning I had the top up and found that the THROTTLE RETURN LEVER
on the second carb was no longer grabbing the tooth needed to put tension on
the spindle. And for that matter it was stuck in the wrong position (likely
WIDE OPEN). So after some very delicate pushing and clicking the LEVR was
back in place and I had tension on the spindle.

So why did this / the works get so loose to allow this to come loose? Was it
the nut on the end of the spindle? Overuse? The spacer and tab washers? The
DPOs?
Well, Ill look into all the above?
Has this happened to you?

I have had a high idling car for some time now. And in the midst of all this
I notice that the FAST IDLE SCREW was missing from CARB #1 (and likely the
spring). So I gotta get one of those ASAP. I however have not seen them
offered by themselves from the usual suspects. Any clues ? Any body know the
size? I suppose I could take the other carbs screw to the GET SCREWED
shoppe.

After I got it all operational (not fixed) I drove home with baited breath
halfway expecting for it to pop back and find my RPMs  wildly rising. But I
made the long trip home without an issue. GREAT !
But when I got home I popped the bonnet to eyeball my handiwork and see if
every thing still sat in place.
On the side of the first carb that is closes to the radiator there is a
bolt(?) end. -----(or sealed hole of some sort)
It is right before the gasket and the spacer
on the heat shield(I know-I knowpretty vague)
Anyhow, it was smoking. Just letting out a thin plume of smoke like a
cigarette. Subsided when all the works began to cool but definitely not of
the normal.
Any ideas ?

Sheeshand I though I would get to tackle other winter woe issues and then
the carbs start to sour.

And another thing..Anybody else ever find small pools directly in their
drivers side floorboard ?
I thought I had found a leak in one of the cylinders at first but this stuff
was wet black oil.

Thanks for ANY tall tales, advice, or consolation.
Miles

age, and price. Try it!