midget alternator conversion help

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: midget alternator conversion help
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:09:57 -0600
Hey hey.

Can anyone enlighten me?

So, I have read the very informative Telergizer and Clarici penned pieces
about performing an alternator conversion /switch out. Very thorough / very
informative.

And being that my old Lucas is as shot as they get.
I intended to do the deed today.
I have a 74 1275 Midget.

So, I went to the local shop(s).

The first didnt have any of the suggested Mazda B2200 or RX7s but they had
a 70s Chevrolet Camaro alternator.

On seeing the Camaro alt I thought , well, this kind must just be Bugeye
specific..
The bolt posts are 180 degrees apart at the 12 and 6 o clock position.  And,
of course the spade connectors were separate unlike the LUCAS bit where all
of the connectors are in a small box housing.
I thought, well, maybe after an additional J bracket and doing some kind of
rewiring (?) this might work.

But I pressed on in hoped that the Mazdas would have a more familiar
set-up.

The Mazda alternators I later checked out had the boltholes in the same
positions and the spade connectors were just as wildly different.

SO, MY QUESTION IS
Do I just need to find the correct extension bracket to hold these guys in
place?
AND
Should I be looking for an wiring adapter or
Should I         be considering dismantling the wiring box that originally
hooked
up to the alternator?

I appreciate it.
Really.
Those days when you take a spent piece off to only put it back on are dark.

Miles

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
list.