RE: Subarus ( now BMW ) - NO LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Subarus ( now BMW ) - NO LBC
From: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:17:15 -0500
Thanks for all of your comments.

I like the Subaru.  The one I had pegged is a 2001, 6 cyl VDC which comes
with a fantastic stereo and a lot of options.  I went to see another one
yesterday ( 6 hour drive, but only an hour further than where my son was to
be picked up  ) that was supposed to be close to perfect.  It had minor
dings all around.  Otherwise though it was close to perfect and he said he
could fix most of the dents ( more 'ding' than dent? ) without need for
paint and said which ones could maybe not turn out so well.  The price is
negotiable.  Great.  Looks like it seats 5 uncomfortably.

So, while we're chatting about that, I notice a 2000 BMW 528i wagon that
looks really nice.  There is no sign of any damage or wear anywhere on it (
except tires, of course ).  It has gadgets to control the gadgets and
gadgets to control them.  We left to take a test drive and the rear wiper
was on.  We couldn't figure out how to turn it off. :)  Nice throaty sound.
Tight car.  Sophisticated, not a bit of the yahoo like the Subaru can offer.
Powerful enough though.  150,000 kms on the body.  ( 90000 miles ? )  About
30k kms less on the motor which was replaced under warranty.  Rear wheel
drive with traction control.  Looks like it seats 5 reasonably comfortably
for short distances.  Now, the mistake is that my wife was there.  She's
sold.  She wants to be in a BMW.  While I had my concerns about buying a
Subaru with so much to break down, this has so many bells and whistles that
I dreamt of cash registers going ka-ching at my expense. ( I exaggerate. )
My rule of thumb is not to buy used high end cars that come with huge repair
bills when the bells and whistles stop ringing and whistling.

Price is roughly the same.

My primary motivation for spending a lot of money on a used car is to
provide more safety for my family in the event of an accident what with the
events of the past year.  What with the climate here, an awd car, makes a
lot of sense . . .

Are there any opinions out there?  :)