Done screwed up - main bearing caps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Done screwed up - main bearing caps
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:33:00 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hi Folks,

First the good news.  The good wife got me a train set for Christmas.

Now the bad news - I thought I had marked the front main bearing cap as to its
position (left and right) before removal.  Now I'm up to the point of putting
it back and I don't see any effing marks (even with a magnifying glass).  The
damn thing is unmarked and symmetrical so I have a 50/50 chance of getting it
right.

The only faint ray of hope is the tangs on the main bearing.  Is it engineering
practice to machine the groove for this tang so the grooves are not both on the
same side?

Also, I'm in a quandary over these thrust washers.  The old ones were in their
correct postion and they look in decent shape - apart from some battering the
rearmost one has taken, see middle one in photo:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/ThrustWashers1500Midget.jpg

The old ones have no copper on them (if they did in the first place) but they
are the same thickness as the new ones (to the nearest 0.001").  Needless to
say I put new ones in anyway.

The original endfloat, measured with a feeler gauge, was 0.009", so it should
not change.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing one with a 0.005 oversize.  This would
give an endfloat of 0.004".  Slightly out of spec (0.006 to 0.014) but what say
you?.  That way I can at least eliminate the thrust washers as being the source
of this clunking.

Regards,  Adrian 1500 Midget