Reinstalling Distributor

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reinstalling Distributor
From: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:34:12 -0800 (PST)
I took Bugsy's Distributor out today to change points. Only to discover that
the POS Lucas points I bought many years ago didn't sit on the contact end
properly and the rubbing block was only rubbing on a small corner of the
contact patch. A little work with my vise straightened things out but now
points won't open and close. Back to the drawing board file down old point set
and reinstall gapped at .016. Reinstall in car, button it all up, turn key and
crank, crank, crank. Nothing. Take all back apart to discover that new POS
Condenser is shorted out. OK replace old condenser, check distributor with Ohm
Meter, points are ideed opening and closing properly and opening and closing
the circuit.I'm convinced all is ok there, Reinstall in the car and once again
no fire from the engine. Can the distributor be installed 180 degrees out? I
tried the 180 degrees out thing and could not get things to line up properly.
Looking at the bottom of the distributor it looks to me that the
 keyway on the bottom only goes in one way. It appears to be offset just a hair
so it cannot go in backwards.

  OK team what's the verdict, what am I doing wrong here.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH