Re: Steel versus Aluminum manifolds

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Steel versus Aluminum manifolds
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:52:09 -0500
de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division) wrote:
> Does anyone knows any good reason why I should use aluminum over steel?
> And why aluminum is better?
>
> Regards, cyrille

I'm not sure aluminum is better, except for weight savings, and aluminum
transfers more heat from the exhaust. Aluminum was probably used
originally because it is easier and cheaper to cast the complex shapes.
The performance manifolds sold by Maniflow are made from carbon steel,
and I don't see the need for the additional cost associated with a SS
fabrication.
John
Fogelsville, PA