Re: Wireless routers -No LBC

To: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless routers -No LBC
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:33:59 -0600
On 1/8/07, chuck <cciaffone@verizon.net> wrote:
> Whatever you get, for gawd sakes be sure to set a password!
>
> I can drive thru my neighborhood and get on the net thru any one
> of a half dozen unprotected DSL  and cable wireless router/modems.
>
> (btw - most are linksys, which is evidently the default network name
> for linksys DSL modems.)

Yup. "linksys" is the default name. You will need to log onto your
router and change it and then set a password.  War driving is a spiffy
game even in small rural towns like mine!

While the "N" router  (thats actually 802.11n) is faster than the "G"
series at something like 300Mbps, it also has about 4 times the range
of the "g".  Still, they are pretty pricey by comparision and if speed
is the object, recall that the router is seldom the weak link in the
speed chain.  If your Linksys 802.11g router is 5 years old (like
mine) you first need to go to the Linksys site and download the most
recent firmware upgrade for it. There have been about 6 firmware
changes in the past 5 years so make sure you have the latest.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City