Steering Wheel

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:48:51 -0500
derf wrote:
 > 1974.
 >
 > On 1/12/07, John Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu> wrote:
 >
 >     derf wrote:
 >     > Anyone know of a Momo or Grant or generic steering wheel
adapter part
 >     > number?
 >     > Anything besides OEM parts fit the shaft splines?
 >     > Cheers,

My car is also a 74. I bought a used 13" leather steering wheel that
didn't have too large of a center hole and adapted it to the 74 hub. I
first measured and did a layout of the hub and wheel to see where the
holes fell, milled the hub flat to eliminate the cutouts for the
original spokes and to keep the wheel in about the same location, and
then printed the layout and used it to drill the new steering wheel. I
bolted it all together with slightly longer 5/16-24 bolts and the
original horn push assembly. The wheel was a Formuling France, but I
believe you could do the same with a Grant wheel if you make the center
hole a bit larger. The wheel looks like a factory installation! I know
that didn't answer your question, but this does a nicer job than the
Grant adapters IMO.
John
Fogelsville, PA