Cotter pin nut size

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cotter pin nut size
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:57:47 EST
Hi list,

I bought some new cotter pin nuts to go with my new cotter pins as part of
the front suspension rebuild.  However, I decide to use up my 'old stock' of
cotter pin nuts.  Only problem is I don't seem to have a spanner the correct
size
so I measure the nut across flats and find it is:

             8.16mm or 0,321"

According my handy chart of these things the nearest imperial fraction is
21/64s.  Next nearest sizes of 8mm, 5/16 or 11/32 are all no good.

Now, the new nuts are:

             7.91mm or 0.311"

Which the chart reveals is just under 5/16" and the spanner is a good fit.

So what size spanner fitted the NOS nuts and does anyone who is a concours
fanatic want me to fish them out of the wastepaper bin and post them to them?

Regards

Daniel1312