Re: Modern Oils Issues

To: Spike <bigfigg@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Modern Oils Issues
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:25:47 -0600
I don't know the cost of a case of Redline, but I got a case of
Schaeffers Synthetic Blend 5W-30 for $46 last week. I am putting it in
the Pathfinder tomorrow. Though I have yet to try their engine oil, we
have used Schaeffers in several applications at work.
The first was an air compressor that would overheat and shutdown. Mind
you, I don't work IN maintenance, so I can't tell you how hot it was
getting to shut it down. This is a huge screw compressor, that
provides air for the entire factory, so a shut down isn't a good
thing. They changed the oil over to Schaeffer, and the compressor runs
at around 160* year round.
The second was in a Monco hot oil laminator. Many of you have a paper
overlay on your cabinet ends. It is applied at our factory by running
particleboard between two rollers heated up to 400*. At that temp, it
presses the paper onto the board, and the heat activates the glue that
is bonded to the paper, prior to delivery at our facility. As you can
guess, oil is the fluid we use for the heating process. The machine
was bought second hand at an auction, non op. We had to remove the
heating assembly, and using an air chisel, remove the old element. The
machine was back in service in less than a week, with either Mobile or
Exxon oil in it. About 6 months later, heater failure occured again,
and almost another week was spent chiseling the element out of the
heat tube. Again, when you are in production, this is a LONG time,
with an assload of OT to get caught up again. Now, we put Schaeffers
in the machine. A year later, the machine won't get up to temp, so
they get the chisels out, and go to take it apart. If nothing else, we
doubled the life of the element. Undid the bolts, and the element
pulled right out. It was scaled up around a couple of the heat tubes,
but we had the new element back in and into production in about 4
hours, rather than 4 days. OH, the 55 gallon drum of Exxon/Mobile was
about $1600, a drum of Schaeffers, less than $700.
I have no financial interest in the company, but their products have
kept my company going, and my OT to a minimum.
This isn't bullshit, this is real world, first hand applications.