RE: Bugeye with trunk

To: "'Brad Fornal'" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>, "'Linda Grunthaner'"
Subject: RE: Bugeye with trunk
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:55:56 -0600
Brad,

I've said it before, and will say it again. The books are not the "end all"
when it comes to documentation. While I doubt that car is a factory mod or
prototype, you can't, for certainty, claim it isn't either.

Regarding racecars and logbooks...

Log books didn't even come into being until the late 60's, and have nothing
to do with the value of earlier race cars. Documentation from earlier cars
can take many forms, including personal histories, original owners, or
competitors, period photographs, tech stickers, or, in some cases, just the
evidence of former mods on the car, such as old mounting holes or brackets,
etc. Obviously, the more documentation, the better... but log books is not
an issue on early cars.

 I own 2 of the most original and unmolested Bugeye race cars in the world,
both fairly well documented, and neither have a log book because they were
retired long before log books were required. Their retirement before
logbooks is the main reason they're so original and unmolested.

WST
(A jerk with a couple of great stories)