58 wiring headhache

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 58 wiring headhache
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:44:45 -0500
And I am a whiz at wiring Britsh cars.
But when the  ign terminal on the back of the ignition/light switch pops
off it's rivet, that's tough to find.
No power to anything with the key on.
But I fixed that only to find that all 5 of my solenoids are dead.
One works when a test lamp is connected to the terminal but only on the
work bench, not when installed in the car. Go figure? I took it out
twice, did the test light thing and it lights, put it back in the car
and the test light doesn't work.
This is not the prince of darkness, this is a cruel joke being played on
me by the ghost of Joseph Lucas himself!
Simple spring loaded contact switches and I even took 2 apart to clean
them and they still don't work. Seems the tolerances are very close and
the contacts get eaten away. And some sort of copper alloy which doesn't
like solder so I can't even build up the contact surface.
But everything else electric works except the green signal indicator
lamp, I didn't even look at that yet, might just be the bulb.
I pick up the reupholstered seats tomorrow and all I have to get are a
set of 165/70s with white walls and see how bad the 5 speed tranny is
since some metal bits fell out when I changed the oil.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ