Car stuff

To: "spridgets net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car stuff
From: "Jack Laird" <jlaird237@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:39:14 -0600
Last evening adjusted the float needles to 7/16 inch. Stoped most of the
leakage prob but........

Found that carbs seeped down while I was gone today enough to empty the float
bowls hmmmmm......

Through thinking about where it had to be comming from I determined that it
had to be the seal on the bottom bolt that holds the fuel chamber in the carb.
A copper ring a narrow one. It is between this bolt that squeeses the large
cork gasket and the brass bottom of the chamber.

The copper washer sets down in a grove in the squeeze bolt.

The new washers are just a bit larger in diam than the ones that I took out.
And, and, are you ready for this. A ring of hard deposit had built a ledge
between the old copper washer and the side wall of the seat it sat in. The new
copper washer being bigger in diam was on this ledge and could not make a
tight seal.

Used several things to remove it including pencil erasers to clean it out and
buff the seat.

Reinstalled the chamber and not a seep or weep since.

I kinda hate to admit to something like this but you guys with H1s need to
know where your seep if you have one is comming from and how to fix it.

The morning will tell the tail but has been an hour now and not a smell of
fuel from either carbs.

Now maybe I can proceed with the proceedings.

The strange things you learn, and in my case sometimes relearn. Set the floats
on H1s to 7/16 so the fuel is below the top of the jet valve and check the
size of new copper seals for seating.

Can you know how pleased I am.