Re: My eBay Sprite - update

To: "Dave G." <dmg@bossig.com>
Subject: Re: My eBay Sprite - update
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:58:45 -0500
Dave G. wrote:
> Hi Folks...
> Well, I have started civil legal proceedings against the seller of my
> so-called "Restored" Sprite. I'll see how far I get ! After all, I'm in
> WA state and he's in MO - and that's where I have to fight the case ---
> long distance!!
> The attorney has warned me of two things.
> One, this particular county is known for having some very shady dealers
> and two, there may be some partisan feelings in the judicial arena :-\
> There is a strong possibility that I will get nothing out of this
> except the satisfaction of getting the seller into court...
>
> As the numbers on this car are fake... is there anyway I can determine
> the size of the engine WITHOUT pulling it to pieces??  If I work on the
> vehicle before the case is heard I will damage my suit.
>
> It was advertised as a 1275 and the fake engine number starts of with
> '12cc'  but there is no oil separator on the timing case and it has a 4-
> blade steel fan..

This is what a 1967 1275 would be.
12cc engine ID and a 4 blade metal fan.
1968 went to 12cd and a plastic fan.
67 would NOT have any smog ports on the head (spark plug side)
68 on would have them.
no 1275 had the side tappet covers. If it doesn't have them it's a 1275.
Also a metal tag behind the frint carb in the block (riveted) would say
1275 or 1100, 948s were cast into the block but it was cast 950.
Timing covers from 1098s and 1275s are interchangable, and from Minis,
1098s and some Minis never had t/cover oil snouts
There is a chassis ID number stamped into the frame near the right front
shock usually covered in grease and/or paint.
If your car is HAN9L/69000 you should find at least HAN9-69000 on the
shock mount.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ