More Fuel System Troubles

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Fuel System Troubles
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:39:13 -0500
Guys:

      There must be an epidemic of fuel system troubles going around.

    Question: Can an electric (SU Solid-State) fuel pump loose pressure enough
to affect performance, yet still pump fuel?

     Last weekend I noticed the relatively new (500 miles) pump on my 1098
Midget didn`t tick as usual when I switched the key. Car had been idle for
weeks, so the fuel should have drained back enough for a few solid ticks. All
connections were good. When the main feed pipe to the front carb was
disconnected, the pump pushed fuel into a jar. I didn`t time it, and I don`t
have a pressure gauge.

      It maybe ticks a little until it gets pressure, but not as pumps
normally do.

     Anyway, figuring something in the carb might be stuck, I replaced the
float jets. Somebody slap my fingers next time. Maybe a couple weak ticks now
and then.

       Next to last time I drove the car, about a month or so ago before the
silence of the pump, it was somewhat rougher on cold start than usual, and it
had a bit rough idle for 10 miles or so. When I started it yesterday, after
replacing the jets, it ran BAD, wanted choking till the carbs flooded.

     Proper Grose jets. Float setting is off, but I left it alone for now
because It was running fine like that for 20 years. Mixture front carb Ok.
Rear carb weak beyond normal adjustment limits (?).

    Fuel pump still fills a jar, but not much tick. That was my spare, and no
warranty. Before I spring for a new pump, I thought I`d see what you all might
say.

     I don`t rule out more than one thing broke.

Bert Shirey
66 Midget MKII/ 60 Bugeye