RE: Dim Bulbs

To: "'Robert Weeks'" <lists@woozy.com>, "'spridgets net'"
Subject: RE: Dim Bulbs
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:19:18 -0500
Robert,
I didn't notice any on-list discussion of your post, so, I'll spend my
brief time out of "lurk mode" to offer my advice.
Like most Brit cars, the Spridget's electrical system is (contrary to
popular myth) generally pretty simple, robust and reliable given PROPER
& TIMELY MAINTENANCE.
That maintenance must include keeping the battery terminals clean and
free of corrosion.  Next, ground connections (consult the Bently
workshop manual & use the appropriate wiring schematic for your car)
must be kept clean and tight.  Finally, all other electrical connections
must be kept clean and tight.  I've found that (following the advice of
one of my 356 buddies, who's a professional hospital
electrical/diagnostic system trouble-shooter) white vinegar is wonderful
stuff for cleaning electrical contacts.  Also, check with your FLAPS
(non-national chain) for some conductive grease, made for use in
electrical connections and use some of that, during reassembly.
If some turkey has gotten into your car's electrical system, and
"repaired" anything, with crimped connectors; you better plan on
removing them and replacing them with the correct (and reliable)
soldered fittings/connectors.
The "female" connectors, as included in the OEM wiring harness, may
break (longitudinal fracture) inside the insulation.  The only way to
find this is to see if they are loose.  The new, supposedly Lucas
replacements, that are available today, seem to suffer the same
fate.....only after about 3-5 years, instead of 30-40 years.
As far as the relays are concerned: I haven't tried them, yet.  However,
I plan to install headlight relays, this year, on my Midgets, and my
356.  If nothing else, the relays should prolong the service life of the
light switches and the high-low beam/turn signal switch.  I've got
pretty good headlight illumination (clean, tight connections throughout
the electrical system, remember), on both the currently road-worthy
Midget and my 356, so, the relays are mainly for increased system
longevity.
Like most components on a Spridget, once you get the electrics
sorted-out and back up to OE specs and function; they require only
minor-but-regular maintenance to keep them working well.
Bud Osbourne