Re: clutch release bearing

To: <john.dagostino@comcast.net>, "Spridget List"
Subject: Re: clutch release bearing
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:46:06 -0500
> While my motor is out I want to replace the clutch release bearing on the
> Sprite.
> Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the roller bearing
> replacement? They have a plastic housing that the bearing is in, seems
> like a recipe for disaster.

John,
I found that a PO had installed one of these in a 74 Midget I had when I
pulled the trans to replace it with one whose third gear actually had some
teeth on it. It had worked fine for 20,000 miles or so by then and I
replaced the rest of the clutch components as long as I had the trans out,
but opted to put the throwout back in. Never regretted it. It continued to
work fine for several years of hard driving until I sold the car. I have
never since installed a carbon-faced throwout. Yes, the ones that the
factory used, in conjunction with a nice new engine and a nice new trans,
etc., worked fine for many years. The ones you get today, when used in
conjunction with 30-year-old parts, don't seem to last very well.
David Lieb
1972 RWA