First drive in Sprite!

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: First drive in Sprite!
From: hendrimp <hendrimp@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:13:21 -0500
So it was 60 degrees in Wisconsin today, and with the rain a few days
ago the roads were clean...  perfect time to drive the new (old)
Sprite for the first time!

She started up on the first turn...  and she drove beautifully.
Shifts were smooth, brakes worked great, car turned and accelerated
like a new car.  A guy in a pickup drives past the other way and
gives the thumbs up.  A woman walking her dog yells "love the car!"
Ah yes, this is definitely going to be a long and healthy
relationship.  Drove another 2 miles or so around the neighborhood
and back to the house.  Throw her in reverse and a neighbor walks up
and starts talking to me.  I glance over at the working Smiths temp
gauge and all is well after a few minutes of idling, then...

the car died.  Huh.  Okay.  Neighbor takes off and I try to restart
the car.  Nothing happens.  Pop the hood... and the battery cable was
loose and came off!  It was the negative terminal (car is positive
earth.)

Okay, whew.  Easy fix.  Put cable back on terminal and tighten.  Get
back in, turn key and... nothing.

So, I'm not sure where to start now.  The fuses still look good, but
I tried replacing anyway.  The headlights and turn signals still
work, but the fuel pump doesn't come on and the fuel gauge doesn't
register.  Ignition light doesn't come on, which I think it normally
does before you start the car.

Advice?  Car is a '65 Sprite.