50th anniversary pistons

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 50th anniversary pistons
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:53:23 -0700
As I consider what it will take to have a bombproof motor for the drive to the
Ozarks, I decided to swap out the two pistons that suffered when the
headgasket blew a few months ago.  I noticed that the top compression ring
groove was slightly enlarged on the two pistons that got flooded and broke
their rings.  Now the good part.  Since they were custom made by Venolia, I
was able to call them this morning and order just two replacements!
Yesterday's extravagance became today's bargain.  Something to think about if
you want or need pistons different from the standard.  They looked up my name,
pulled the spec card for the pistons and off we go.

I also wasn't thrilled about the 2nd gear synchro, BUT!  I've got a newly
rebuilt and polished Datsun 5sp sitting on the bench destined for the Austin.
Bit of luck, eh?

Any listers in the N. CA area that want to see/help pull a motor/trans, swap
two pistons and a trans/clutch and put it all back in a weekend, get in touch.
It'll happen when the new pistons show up. (early May?)

I'm really getting into the idea of this ridiculously long drive.  I've
definitely got to fix up the wipers one day.

Glen