Rust converter

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust converter
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:02:04 -0400
Hey folks,
I have a guy who stops by and keeps telling me I should use a "rust
converter" on my car as I restore it. I've looked on the web and it
appears to me that RC is the modern snake oil. There's lot'sa folks
selling one formulation or another including such things as tannin.
(Soak oak leaves in water and you've got tanning, I believe) Isn't RC
just phosphoric acid and if not applied properly doesn't it interfere
with the paint job?

I told him I plan to sandblast down to bare metal. He tells me that
there is still rust "in the metal."

My car is 41 years old. I opened the frame horns and was surprised at
how good those boxed sections looked inside. (I'm replacing the
bottom of the frame horn top hat section - the part the sway bar
attaches to.) I probably won't be around in 41 years myself.

Therefore, I am inclined to skip the RC step and just prepare for the
paint shop unless my paint guy says otherwise. That's my plan. What
do you guys do?

Tim Collins
1966 AH Sprite