Re: Wire wheel conversion Bugeye

To: James Sailer <BJ8Healey@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel conversion Bugeye
From: Rick & Carolyn <wrongwayricky@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:37:46 -0700
Hi Jim,

I have the wire conversion on my 60 bug-i.  It is a good investment and safer
when the car stops right away and not down the road a piece.

For parts I recommend finding a junk car in the junk yard.  This is the
cheapest way I know of.  I wouldn't use the old rotors and would definitely
rebuild everything.  This way you can see all the pieces required for your car.
 Mine came off of a 69 project junker.  The master cylinders are very hard to
find, mine is using the larger bore drum set up.  It works but you have to
stand on the brakes to stop.  You can have them resleaved smaller diameter for
a cost, but make sure you have the piston parts the right size before boring it
out.  The smaller diameter setups are getting hard to find.  Look hard at the
splines for wear.  Look closely at the wheels for wear too.  The wheels are the
easiest to see the wear on.  Run your finger lengthwise down the splines and
feel for raised edge where the wheel hub sets.  If there, find another one or
buy new.  New is safest.  I ended up replacing mine within a couple of years
after conversion.

Cheers

Wrongway Ricky
60 Frog eye "Puddles"