Re: CT416D,Plasma Cutter/Tig/Arc Welder (Dual Vol,110/220) eBay

To: "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CT416D,Plasma Cutter/Tig/Arc Welder (Dual Vol,110/220) eBay
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 07:52:55 -0600
Hi,
That looks like a good price for that unit, so far.  They sell for $699 here:

http://www.otdeal.com/home.html

Notice the "United Weldin" logos and some phrasing that indicates to
me that the seller is foreign, "not that there is anything wrong with
that."(Seinfeld?)

One thing I notice off the bat is a lack of variable wire feed on that
unit.  My Lincoln has 4 or 5 power settings but the wire feed is
variable.  It looks like that United unit has variable power (good)
but only 3S, 6S, and 10S (cm per second?).  Basically, if you can
control one or the other you can make a feed/power combo that works.
If you can control both, however, you are that much more flexible.
You probably know this.  From your resume, you know more about welding
than I do.  But, I can make a pretty good bead with my MIG or
Oxy/Acetylene rig.  My dad taught me gas welding and I just bought the
Lincoln and read up on how to use the MIG.  After gas welding the MIG
felt like cheating.  Of course, to make those pretty beads I have to
practice a little since I only weld once in a while.

I agree with whoever said there are at least two power tools that you
want to spend extra for and get a name brand, if you can, and they are
welder and compressor.  If you just wanted to put a panel or two in
the Spridget the other welders would probably work fine.  But, with
your knowledge of welding you owe it to yourself to get something
better.

I know you will be pleased with the Lincoln.  That's why I keep
pushing it.  You buy one and it lasts a lifetime.  You hardly ever see
them for sale used, in good shape, and cheap.

Cheers,
Derf