Re: Ammeter or voltmeter?

To: <dmg@bossig.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ammeter or voltmeter?
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:38:31 -0500
Actually Dave Not So   :)

12 V lead acid at REST

12.6 100%
12.3  50%
11.7  10%

Even though you are correct that you can see as much as 15 volts under
charge and 13.5 with surface charge it is little indication of the batteries
state.  Give it a day to calm down and you will see the above numbers.
Following a full charge you might see the following:

13.5  100%
12.8    50%
11.8    10%

So, if you see 13.5 to 15 volts under charge and 12.6 to 13.5 with the
engine off then you are good to go.
You are looking at the range of 15 to 12.6 or about 2.4 volts difference,
still hard to see on a +/- 8 to 16 volt meter probably made in China and is
+/- 20% anyway.

An amp meter will show the net amount of charge minus drain, as long as you
have a good battery and no dead cells and the amp meter stays on the + side
of 0 you are generally good to go.  But it might also be over charging a
defective battery which will boil it dry and leave you stranded with
nothing.  Buy a new lead acid battery every two or three years or get a gel
cell battery that might last you 10 if you are kind to it.

Here is a good link to the facts about lead acid batteries.

http://www.wind-sun.com/PDF_Files/battvoltandsoc.pdf

Mark
Nashville
http://www.arrestmered.com