Re: Re: Re[2]: 3.9 rear so what to use??

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Re[2]: 3.9 rear so what to use??
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:58:36 -0700
Charlie,

The 1275 with the 3.9 is a very good combo.  First, the characteristic whine
from the ribcase 1st and rev gears is GONE!
Second, freway cruising is easy as pie and gives great mileage.  Third, the
Datsun box NEVER locks into 1st gear or pops out of second.  And, as already
mentioned, the lower gears early in the Dastun shift pattern mean that you
give up very little in off-the-line acceleration.  As a side benefit, the
changeover is a great chance to put in a leak-free diff seal, renew the axle
seals(check bearings), examine the brakes, and swap out the rubber connector
hose for the rear brakes.  The Paqul A kit also allows you to use the
superior Datsun clutch that takes the 1275 HP a bit better.  The throw-out
bearing is a real bearing and works forever.
Finally, the 5sp conversion offers a perfect opportunity to practice your
short, colorful language while you try to bleed the clutch.
(Do it before the engine/trans slides all the way in during installation.)

Thats my take.

Glen Byrns