Re: Thin-flange block myth?

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Thin-flange block myth?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:31:09 -0400
Robert E. Shlafer wrote:

> As I understood it, the thin flange had a
> longevity problem in it's stock form

I have a few of those thin flange 67 engines.
1 in the A40 and one in my 59, I think PIECES had one too.
Mine is 30 over, I don't recall what the A40 is, and PIECES engine out
lasted 3 Sprites. No block problems on any of them.
BUT on my original 67 Sprite, I did score a cylinder wall but it was my
fault for not having enough antifreeze in the radiator.
I was 17 and broke, the temp gauge was going down so why worry.
But a frozen rad makes for a cooked engine. I siezed that engine from
the heat but some antifreeze in the rad melted the ice and in a few
minutes I was able to make it home, smokin just a tad but it still ran.
The smoke was from a wrist pin that came out and scored the block.
Lesson learned. But even telling my son that story, he froze the rad on
one of his VWs when he was young, dumb, and broke.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ