Re: [Spridgets] 5 Speed Clutch Problem

To: "Jack Laird" <jlaird237@cox.net>, <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 5 Speed Clutch Problem
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:16:09 -0500
Hey, I'm late to this thread but here's what works for me if anyone's
interested.  I used a big Healey slave.  Yes, I did have to slot its
little mounting feet to make it fit properly.  I took a 3/8" grade 5 all
thread rod and cut it about 4" long and ground one end of it round-ish
to mesh with the slave piston.  I cut a screw driver size slot across
the other end.  I took a 3/8" grade 5 "long" nut and rounded one end to
mesh with the indention in the end of the Datsun release lever.  I
backed up the nut with a 3/8" jam nut.  This custom push rod seats
against the slave piston and protrudes thru the hole in the end of the
release lever.  Oh yeah, I had to enlarge the hole in the dust boot too.
I pushed the piston into the bore all the way and held it there (with
help from others) while I bled the hydraulics.  I then adjusted the
rounded nut by holding the rod with a screw driver to about 1/8" play
before contact with the release lever and locked it with the jam nut.
Yes, these is (barely) enough room to do this using two 9/16" wrenches.
Does this work??  Well, I installed the 5-speed in 1991 and it has been
totally flawless.  Clutch take-up is perfect and the effort feels like
stock.   Oh yes, mine was a pre-Rivergate conversion from an Oregon
company.  Seems like the guy's name was Rex Urban.  Just FYI....
Jack