[Spridgets] Torque Sensing LSD

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Torque Sensing LSD
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:30:59 -0600
An explanation of a regular diff can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanical_device%29
A diff generally looks like the pic but has two planetary gears (the green
one in the illustration)
Your Phantom grip applies spring pressure to the two planetary gears.  The
springs push out on the two blocks.  The block/spring assembly is
essentially a clutch that keeps the planetary gears from turning.  The
heavier the spring pressure, the more the diff stays "locked" or the two
planetary gears do not turn and the diff is turning both wheels.

A Torsen LSD uses different types of gearing for the "planetary" part of the
diff.  Again, the difference of gearing and friction make the LSD system
work.

I suppose Mr. Daniel uses the term "LSD" to refer to clutch type LSDs.
Therefore he perceives a difference between "Torsen" and "LSD" where I see a
Torsen as a type of LSD.  When the Mazda lady told me "Torsen LSD" she was
simply stating that the car had a "Torque Sensing Limited Slip
Differential".

Cheers,
Derf