[Spridgets] Troubleshooting 101, Experts hit delete,

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Troubleshooting 101, Experts hit delete,
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:12:22 -0600
Fuel and spark, the two necessaries for combustion.
Spridget won't start, check fuel and spark.
Another big two for Spridget troubleshooting are dashpot oil and
electrical grounds.
An oft overlooked tuning and troubleshooting step for SU carb users is
dashpot oil.  If that chamber gets dry the carbs will not run
properly.  There are many thoughts on the proper fluid to run in the
dashpots.  I have had good luck with motor oil and Marvel Mystery Oil.
 But, I am biased.  I use Marvel Mystery Oil for everything.  I think
it is good stuff.  My fill technique might be unorthodox, too.  I pour
the stuff in and work the piston up to expel the excess.  YMMV.  You
can pay for "dashpot oil" or get opinions from other, experienced
users.  10wt compressor oil works good, too.  If your motor is in a
high state of tune like "fast road" or racing apps, then the dashpot
oil used is more important as it is a tuning factor.  It is but one
variable in the equation, though.  There is a spring in there, too.
The spring, oil, and vacuum work in concert to raise the piston for
proper function.  This may sound complex but the SU carbs are a really
simple and effective design.
Poor electrical grounds are the bane of the Lucas world.  Bullet
connectors, while seemingly convenient, are doomed to fail if not
insulated properly.  My experience is that most generators,
alternators, and components on Spridgets are OK, but the wiring to run
everything causes more trouble than anything.  Everything electrical
on a Spridget needs a good ground.  Most times if things aren't
working, whether it be tach, lights, fans, whatever, troubleshooting
will reveal a poor ground.  Bullet connectors can be replaced or
cleaned.  You can get grease to insulate the connectors and protect
them from corrosion.
If you have any problem and you need help, don't hesitate to post it
on the list.
Cheers,
Derf