[Spridgets] Oil leak from dip stick?

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Oil leak from dip stick?
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:34:51 -0400
I got the midget started up and backed out of the garage today. Tweaked
the carbs a little, still not ready for a good shake out run.

Went into the garage for a screw driver and noticed a pretty good oil
puddle where the midget had been sitting. Closer look at the engine, I
see a little oil seepage at the valve cover hold down nut, and oil
seeping from the dip stick. I know this can't be good.

Never seen this car run much, was a project when I got it. There was a
lot of vapor coming from the hose on the timing cover - I plumbed that
to a T fitting and ran it to the SU's. I never saw that much vapor from
any of my mgb's, but this is my first midget (73, 1275) so have no idea
whats normal. The valve cover vent has a hose hanging to the underside
like a road draft tube. There is a small amount of vapor coming from
that as well.

Obviously there is unwanted pressure in the engine block, but why? This
engine has had some kind of work in the past, the head is a different
color from the block. Although a little hard to start (haven't replaced
points, wires, plugs or tuned the carbs I just installed) one started it
runs and idles very smoothly.

What do I do / look for? Car was desmogged when I got it...

--

Marc