Re: [Spridgets] Release Bearing

To: "'Brad Fornal'" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>, "'David Lieb'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Release Bearing
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:19:04 -0400
To Brad's excellent advice I would ad: Don't even let your foot TOUCH
the clutch pedal, until you actually need to disengage the clutch.  Just
having your foot in contact with the pedal may very well pressurize the
clutch hydraulics enough to move the release bearing into sufficient
contact with the pressure plate to cause wearing of the carbon ring.
Also, I suspect that most are not aware that by touching the carbon ring
contact surface, with your hand/fingers, you likely have contaminated
the bearing enough to cause premature wear.  Clean both the release
bearing carbon ring, and the rotating face on the pressure plate with
something like Brake-Clean on a lint-free rag before installing.  Then,
make sure nothing touches either part until you bolt the trans to the
engine.
Another thing noticed on a new carbon ring release bearing, on an MGB I
did a clutch job on, last year, was that the bearings are now......are
you ready for this.......made in China.  This means that the f_ _ _ ing
things don't fit the release fork correctly (too tight), and some filing
is necessary to prevent them from keeping one edge in contact with the
pressure plate (and causing a squeal.....don't ask me how I know this),
when things warm up and make it sit too snugly in the release fork to
allow it to pivot.
Bud Osbourne
Bud Osbourne