[Spridgets] valve guides

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] valve guides
From: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:07:46 +1000 (EST)
G'day
  does anyone have a rule of thumb for deciding if valve guides are worn?
  when I hold the head up and look through the guide hole, it looks nice and
shiny with no visual signs of wear.
  When the unsprung valve sits in the guide, there is some play.
  does anyone have some tips?

  I am having hardened exhaust seats inserted, so that I may end the days of
fuel additives.

  Does anyone have tips for working a 12G1316 (smog) head?
  tips for porting etc?

  I told the guys at the shop, if there are cost effective gains to be made,
then go for it, but I'm not looking for every last HP at any cost.
  Vizard doesn't have a lot to say about this head, and I figure they are
fairly scarce here in Australia.
  I bought/imported mine from a lister.

  thanks

  Andy