[Spridgets] Distributors

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Distributors
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:21:46 -0400
Several weeks ago, I posted a request for information regarding
restoration of Lucas 25D distributors.  I had run out of donor
distributors, from which to cobble together a reasonably properly
functioning distributor for my '72 Midget.
The unanimous recommendation, from those who responded (thanks, again,
guys) was Advanced Distributors, in Shakopee, MN.  I contacted owner
Jeff Schlemmer, and discussed my car's needs, and turn-around time for
his rebuilds.  I also had an MGB distributor, which would be used on a
friend's '80 MGB, to allow it to properly utilize it's twin SUs.
To make a long story short, I'm absolutely delighted with the results,
and the lightening-quick turn-around time.  I installed my
rebuilt/restored distributor (re-curved to Jeff's modified '67 specs),
and, after driving the car for several hours this past Saturday
afternoon & evening, I've been re-acquainted with the joy of driving a
strong, stock 1275.
You know, when you drive the same car for 25 years, things tend to
deteriorate from optimum to marginal function in a very subtle,
imperceptible manner.  Although I'd changed distributors a few times
over the years, it had been a few years since I really took a good, hard
look at what my distributor's advance curve and total advance had
morphed into.  It was not a good thing.  With Jeff's new advance curve
(Jeff: "You're gonna like it"), it's like I have a freshly rebuilt
engine.
We plugged the other Jeff-massaged distributor into my friend's MGB,
yesterday.  Needless to say, he was just blown away by the dramatic
improvement in the car's throttle response, and all-around drivability.

So, I strongly urge anyone who' distributor has not been rebuilt since
their car was built (that would probably include the vast majority of
us) to send you distributors up to Jeff, for a rebuild.  Mine (actually,
this was a core I had lying around, rather than the one that was in my
car) needed a new bushing, and clamp flange repair (Jeff's
repair/modification will NEVER crack), as well as the re-curving.  My
costs were:
Rebuild distributor w/shaft bushing = $99.00
Crack repair at clamp = $20.00
Lucas point/condenser/terminal block installed = $20.00
Total = $139.00, plus shipping (I used UPS second day air)

Advanced Distributors  www.advanceddistributors.com

Bud Osbourne